Monday, June 4, 2012

Looking back...

I am embarrassed that I haven't written a blog post since January! I want to reflect a little bit on the benefits of Doing the Daily 5 this year.

At some point this year the Daily 5 switched from something I needed to constantly reflect on to a process that just hummed along. This morning (with 10 school days to go) my classroom was a quiet place where students were engaged in meaningful literacy activities.

IF (IF IF IF IF) my students pick spots with bubble space they are incredibly effective with working the whole time and are really productive!

This year hasn't been perfect with the Daily 5. There are some students who need redirection to find the right spot and get started. And due to the way students were treating the materials, I've had to restrict use of the computers or listening center materials at times.

Last year I remember making sure I had "filler" activities for the end of the year. And while the activities were meaningful in their own way, I don't think anything is as meaningful as a bunch of second graders reading and writing as we gear up for summer break!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I am going to do the daily five this coming year can I pick your brain? If so my blog is bubbalulu.blogspot.com. If you don't mind my e mail is pig5010@msn.com

    Thanks Jill
    I'm teaching first next year.

    ReplyDelete